CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

DSC02910Another sure sign that spring is on it’s way: I’ve sown my first seeds for my spring garden!  Hubby and I have BIG plans for gardens this year.  We’re using the Square Foot Gardening method to maximize small spaces and make it easier for the whole family to get in on the gardening fun.  We often make sincere attempts at a whole foods lifestyle, but it just doesn’t stick.  I hope our gardens are successful so we can enjoy more whole, organic foods.  I’m also hoping that my children will learn to like vegetables after taking part in the growing process and tasting what REAL food should taste like.  With that in mind, we ordered over two dozen heirloom seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds; a seed company right here in Missouri.

With so many seeds and so little experience gardening on this kind of scale, I created a spreadsheet to show when each seed needed to be sown indoors and transplanted outdoors.  It also lists when certain seeds need to be sown outdoors.  We’ll be sowing seeds and transplanting from now until summer!  I can’t wait to harvest my own vegetables'; most of which I can’t find in the supermarket!

Here’s our seed starting station in the basement.  DSC02925So far, I’ve sown heirloom varieties of eggplant, lemongrass, red romaine lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and onion.

DSC02926

5 comments:

Crazy Dallas Beader

I had a garden when I lived in IL back in the late 70's and early 80's. I loved it! I do miss eating the fresh veggies from my own garden. Enjoy! Getting the whole family involved is wonderful!

D8a

Love Square Foot Gardening, even though I lack the follow-through to be a good gardener. We plant lettuces and spinach every year since we only get good sunlight in the spring before the ash trees leaf out.

Joy for the Seasons

I always look forward to seeing what you are planting! Love the new look of your blog.

Anne-Marie

Wow, sounds like you're a super organized gardener! Gardening = spring, I can't wait!

Catherine Dreher

Linda, the kids keep checking on the seedlings to see if they've sprouted!

Post a Comment