CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Square Foot Gardening

DSC02997Above is a picture of my gardening schedule.  I have 33 herbs, veggies and flowers on my garden list; only one of which will be transplanted to a pot.  The rest are going in our square foot gardens.  This weekend is the first weekend for sowing seeds outdoors, so we needed to get our square foot gardens ready to go.  Scott did most of the work, but I helped mix the soil and rake one of the gardens.  The soil to use is a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.  I didn’t have any luck finding vermiculite, but I read that it’s okay if y0u to leave it out, so long as you keep your garden well-watered.  Scott built the frames, then we mixed the soil and filled the frames.DSC02991

DSC02992Once the frames were filled with dirt, Scott hammered in the wooden lattices so that we have 16 squares in each garden.DSC02998Now our gardens are ready for plants!  Tomorrow, I’ll sow spinach, beets, peas and calendula seeds. I hope our gardens produce a good crop!DSC03000Visit http://www.squarefootgardening.org/ to learn more.

1 comments:

Anne-Marie

Wow, you are so organized! I hope the spring and summer weather treat you well and you end up with lots of fresh goodies from your garden =)

Post a Comment