CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Signs of Spring

Signs of spring are every where, so I took some time today to capture this awakening!DSC02927Three days after sowing, my cabbage and broccoli seeds have already sprouted!  Seeing the broccoli sprouts gave me the idea to sow a larger crop of broccoli seeds just for growing and eating broccoli sprouts.  I love broccoli sprouts but they are so expensive at the grocery store. DSC02930It took some rooting around beneath the mulch to find them, but I was rewarded by little, red, Peonia shoots pushing up through the soil.DSC02931 The Daylilies are popping out!DSC02932So are the Irises!DSC02933But the surest sign of spring was hidden beneath the downspout deflector.DSC02934Bitey, our “pet” garter snake that lives under the porch is on the move.  I’ve been watching for him since the weather turned warmer and haven’t seen him, but it looks like he’s awakened from his winter slumber.  And by the size of his tracks, I’d say he’s grown quite bit!

2 comments:

Joy for the Seasons

I have never heard of broccoli sprouts. You'll have to message me about them some time!

D8a

Broccoli sprouts have the same amount of nutrition as a full-size broccoli plant in each little sprout. Unfortunately it's impossible to find organic broccoli sprouting seeds and the seeds themselves are expensive. It's safer to use sprouting seeds than traditional seeds because traditional plants often have manure put on them right up to harvest and sprouting seeds have all tested negative for pathogens. (Ewww! I know.)

Post a Comment