CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

gingercup

There are so many wonderful goodies to smell and eat this time of year.  I love the smell of warm gingerbread on a chilly day, and even though it was 75 degrees outside today, I was in the mood for some warm gingerbread!  I firmly believe that if a food is a “bread” or a “muffin”, it really wants to be a cupcake.  So, with gingerbread in mind, I searched for gingerbread cupcakes and found a good-looking recipe.  The original recipe called for lemon cream cheese frosting, but I thought orange was a better pair with ginger, so that’s what I did. You can find the original recipe here.  Here’s what I did:

Ingredients

  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/4 cups self-rising  flour
  • 1 tablespoon dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 valencia orange, squeezed
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter or line with paper liners a 12-cup muffin tin.
  2. Cream 5 tablespoons of the butter with the white sugar. Add the molasses, the egg, the egg yolk and milk.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tin.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and remove to a rack to cool.
  5. To Make Frosting: Cream the 4 tablespoons butter and the cream cheese together. Beat in the confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add the orange juice and beat. When the cupcakes are cool, frost the tops with the frosting and serve.

*Note, I was only able to frost 10 cupcakes, but I like a lot of frosting!  Smile

2 comments:

Joy for the Seasons

When I am at least a good 15 lb into WW, I am so making these yummy treats you have been churning out lately!!

Catherine Dreher

I am not a very good WW participant, am I? I think I've lost a whole 1.5 lbs since August. Ah, well. My philosophy when it comes to sweets is that I'd rather make it myself from scratch. That way, I've had to "work" for it, and I've eliminated hydrogenated oils and other junk that's in pre-made mixes. And, it's just fun. :)
On my good days, I'll slice a cupcake in half and eat a half after lunch and the other half after dinner.

Post a Comment