CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 30, 2011

Remembering our Soldiers

DSC03361We went to Oklahoma during Memorial Weekend to visit with some of my family.  While there, my Dad took us to Muskogee to see the USS Batfish Memorial.  The USS Batfish was a WWII Submarine that went on seven war patrols.  I enjoyed touring the submarine and learning about its history.DSC03343I just couldn’t imagine living for months in a submarine.  I gripe and complain at being cooped indoors when it’s rainy. DSC03346The beds were stacked on top of each other and often in an engine room.  It must have been pretty loud…and smelly.DSC03351The kitchen.DSC03350Emily demonstrated how to use the phone on the submarine.DSC03357My step-mom Sandra in one of the very narrow hallways.  I would have tripped all over myself in an emergency trying to run through those narrow corridors and through the holes in the walls that served as doors.DSC03358Emily at the controls.  Maybe she should learn to drive a car first.DSC03342Seeing this brought tears to my eyes.  The USS Oklahoma was hit by at least nine torpedoes during the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Within 20 minutes, she sank to the bottom of the ocean.  Thirty-two sailors were rescued alive, but over 400 were killed.  

I can think of only a few things that would compel someone to endure grueling hardships and the possibility of death.  They are loyalty, pride and love.  May we give all that and more to our soldiers in response to all they’ve done and continue to do for us.

Happy Memorial Day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment